|Hiring Department||Mathematics Statistics (869A)|
|Academic Location||College of Arts & Sciences|
|Campus||Main - Albuquerque, NM|
|Benefits Eligible||The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for more information.|
|Position Summary||The Department of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of New Mexico (UNM) invites applications for an assistant professor position in any area of applied mathematics. UNM is New Mexico's flagship university and is designated both a Minority Serving and an Hispanic Serving Institute. The Department especially encourages applications from individuals belonging to traditionally under-represented groups.|
The Department seeks candidates pursuing fundamental research in all areas of applied mathematics, such as, but not limited to, applied and asymptotic analysis, dynamical systems, numerical analysis, optimization, scientific computing, and stochastic processes. Preference will be given to candidates whose work has significant applications in the biological, engineering, or physical sciences and who could foster ties with other units on campus. The Department's current strengths in applied mathematics include numerical analysis, nonlinear waves, high performance computing, continuum and fluid dynamics, biological modeling, uncertainty quantification, multigrid methods, electromagnetics, and classical relativity.
· Ph.D. in applied mathematics, mathematics, statistics, or related area by the start date of appointment.
· A strong independent research program and an emerging national/international reputation, or in the case of very junior candidates, expectation of such.
· Strong commitment to teaching and service, and the expectation of quality teaching ability; potential for mentoring graduate students; interest in mathematics education.
· Expected contributions to research in areas of interest to the Department and ability to help expand the group's interactions with other departments and/or local laboratories and industry. Ability to collaborate and interact scientifically with others.
· Research interests motivated by scientific problems.
· Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
|Application Instructions||A complete application requires an application cover letter, curriculum vitae, a description of research interests and a teaching statement. Applicants must also arrange for three letters of recommendation to be sent by surface mail to: Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Applied Mathematics Search Committee, 1 University of New Mexico, MSC01 1115, Albuquerque, NM, 87131.
For best consideration, completed applications should be received by November 1, 2019. Applications without three letters of recommendation will not be considered. The Applicant is required to provide official certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to her/his initial employment with UNM.
Applicants who are appointed to a UNM faculty position are required to provide an official certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to their initial employment with UNM.
|For Best Consideration||For best consideration, please apply by 11/1/2019. This position will remain open until filled.|
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
| ||HEJ D&I|