|Hiring Department||Physics Astronomy Department (707A)|
|Academic Location||College of Arts & Sciences|
|Campus||Main - Albuquerque, NM|
|Benefits Eligible||The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for more information.|
The Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of New Mexico (UNM) invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor beginning Fall 2020. We seek candidates with research interests at the intersection between optics and biology. The successful applicant will be engaged in building a strong research group that enhances the interdisciplinary activities of the Department of Physics and Astronomy and UNM’s Optical Science and Engineering (OSE) degree program and will find interdisciplinary, collaborative research opportunities throughout the UNM Health Science and Main campuses. The Department of Physics and Astronomy is located within a new (Fall 2019), state-of-the-art research facility, the Physics and Astronomy and Interdisciplinary Science (PAIS) center.
- PhD in Physics, Optical Sciences, or a related field by date of appointment (August 10, 2020)
- Postdoc experience in physics, optical sciences or related area
- Demonstrated research interests at the intersection between optics and biology
- Demonstrated potential to develop a strong, well-funded research program at the intersection between optics and biology
- Potential for interdisciplinary research collaborations focused on biological systems
- Potential for teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level in Physics and Astronomy and Optical Science and Engineering
- Ability to mentor diverse students at the undergraduate and/or graduate levels
- Commitment to contribute to the shared responsibilities of the faculty of the Department of Physics and Astronomy and the OSE program
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities
|Application Instructions||Applicants must submit an application through UNM Jobs at https://hr.unm.edu/unmjobs (posting number req10404). A complete application consists of a cover letter, curriculum vitae, list of publications, a statement of research interests and goals, and a statement of teaching interests and philosophy. Applicants should also arrange for at least three letters of reference to be sent to Keith Lidke at AsstProf@unm.edu
Applicants who are appointed to a UNM faculty position are required to provide an official certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to their initial employment with UNM.
|For Best Consideration||For best consideration, please apply by 12/2/2019. This position will remain open until filled.|
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.