|Working Title||Research Scientist 2|
The Bureau of Business and Economic Research (BBER) is looking for a creative, self-motivated and organized socioeconomic researcher. With supervision and working collaboratively, the candidate selected for the position will be engaged in all aspects of applied economic and sociological investigation of topics relevant New Mexico policymakers. Recent and ongoing research as addressed issues such as regional economic development, public finance, housing, labor and health policy, and nonprofit planning and development. This position will allow for significant opportunities for professional growth.
Specific Duties to Include:
- With supervision of the Director, defines research questions and methodology.
- Serves as principal investigator, as appropriate, on sub-projects.
- Collects primary data with surveys, focus groups and interviews.
- Develops data-sets from national, state and local secondary sources.
- Ensures oversight and security of confidential data.
- Prepares statistical and narrative reports and/or graphs
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Term appointment position for 1 year from date of hire. Continuation of appointment based upon availability of funding.
See the Position Description for additional information.
|Conditions of Employment|
- Successful candidate may be required to submit to a pre-placement medical clearance through Employee Occupational Health Services depending on location and nature of position.
Bachelor's degree; at least 1 year of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
- Master’s degree in a field of the social sciences, including Economics, Sociology, Geography or Demography.
- Demonstrated experience with qualitative research methods, including sample selection, survey design, and focus groups.
- Demonstrated experience with/in :
Institutional and/or social network analysis
Program evaluation, public administration, strategic planning
Statistics and applied statistical packages, particularly SAS, SPSS or STATA
Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Knowledge of secondary economic, social and demographic data sources.
- Commitment to the economic and community development in New Mexico.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, are required
|Additional Requirements||Official transcripts, High school diploma, or GED certificate will be required for hire. Please see minimum qualifications for specifics.|
|Campus||Main - Albuquerque, NM|
|Department||Bureau of Business Economic Rsrch (069B)|
|Staff Type||Term - Full-Time|
|Term End Date||1 year from date of hire|
|Pay||$2,986.30-$4,478.93 Per Month|
|Benefits Eligible||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.|
|ERB Statement||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.|
|Background Check Required||No|
|For Best Consideration Date||3/26/2018|
|Application Instructions||A complete application will consist of:
Writing Sample - Recent research report where you are the primary author|
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.