We are looking for a highly motivated, experienced person to lead the business core of the University of New Mexico’s Prevention Research Center. This includes a broad range of administrative, financial (advanced accounting) and grant management skills to oversee and manage a federally and state funded Center with multiple research and program projects that are grant and contract supported. The person in this position will serve as liaison between and among the (PRC) division/center, the NIH, CDC, NM DOH, NMHSD, and other funding agencies, and the various UNM Health Sciences financial services, legal counsel, and other administrative offices. Under direct and indirect supervision of the director, the person in this position will work closely with principal investigators (PIs) and Scientific Research Manager. The qualified candidate must be able to work independently, meet deadlines on time, work with both restricted and non-restricted accounts and supervise 2 or more administrative staff.
Responsibilities include the following as well as others that may be required by the funding agency.
- Oversee and manage grants and contracts including daily processing, reporting and monitoring project budgets;
- Oversee daily expenditures and financial transactions and maintain accurate and complete records of these expenditures and transactions;
- Work with PIs to develop budgets for new grants, maintain current budgets, anticipate and project future expenditures and be prepared to respond to audits;
- Prepare financial reports, statements and projections for restricted and unrestricted accounts as required and needed;
- Analyze and interpret data in the management of the projections and financials;
- Create systems for efficient operations of Center infrastructure including financial operations and other business related activities;
- Maintain compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations related to research, fiscal management, and other standards;
- Monitor and maintain ledgers of accounts for the financial management systems (i.e. Banner, MyReports, CHROME, Pinnacle, LoboWeb, Kronos) for quality assurance and supervisor approvals;
- Participate in professional development and training opportunities related to PRC operations;
- Provide administrative and budget support for submission of at least 4 funding opportunities annually;
- Work collaboratively as part of the division’s infrastructure team to address challenges and ensure the smooth operations of the division
- Design and maintain databases for support of grants and contracts management;
- Advise PIs regarding fiscal components and financial implications of project designs and operational protocols;
- Serve as a point of contact with the University offices to ensure compliance with University and NIH, CDC, NM DOH, NM HSC and other funding agencies policies and procedures;
- May supervise other staff and/or students;
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
See the Position Description for additional information.
|Conditions of Employment
Bachelor's degree and successful completion of at least 15 credit hours of university-level accounting through intermediate accounting; at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
- Experience working at UNM
- Managing restricted accounts with specific timelines, employees, scope of work, and requirements of the funding agency
- Familiarity with New Mexico communities
- Experience managing multiple grants and contracts with multiple principal investigators and program managers
- Experience with using financial accounting systems such as Banner
- Experience with Grant & Contract Accounting and Research Administration in an academic, non-profit, or higher education environment
- Experience preparing and reviewing financial documents, including financial statements
- Experience with reconciling, analyzing and reporting
- Experience preparing financial projections and budgeting
||Health Sciences Center (HSC) - Albuquerque, NM
||Peds Prvn and Population Sciences (997E)
||Term - Full-Time
|Term End Date
||$3,434.31 to $5,151.47 Monthly
||This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.
||Temporary and on-call employees working an appointment percentage of 26 (.26 FTE) or greater, per quarter, will be eligible to earn retirement service credits and thus are required to make New Mexico Educational Retirement Board (NMERB) contributions. More information pertaining to your FTE and NMERB contributions can be reviewed on the NMERB Guidelines Clarified webpage.
|Background Check Required
|For Best Consideration Date
||A complete application will consist of current resume, cover letter and reference. Please describe in your cover letter how you meet the preferred qualifications for the position. Include three references in your resume. The references must be former supervisors. Finalists should be prepared to provide official educational transcripts if selected for hire.
Positions posted with a Staff Type of Regular or Term are eligible for the Veteran Preference Program. See the Veteran Preference Program webpage for additional details.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.